Thursday 18 November 2010

Articulation


The video.
I had been watching a lot of BBC, Channel 4 and other documentary films and I thought, if I could make a documentary-style presentation and introduction to my diagrams and thought-patterns on the subject, it would have been easier to see what fits where and which bits needed clarification. I hadn't quite expected it to be so amusing but it ended up very impressively.
It was an exercise I designed myself.
For the record, when I started this production, I had plans for an English actress to be the presenter, but it didn't work out and I presented it myself - with my girlfriend shooting me on a miserable day, between regular rainy sprays, on various locations in lovely Nottingham (thanks Ven). I applied a yellow-orange filter to the film later, to give a sense of seeing the way I was seeing through those lenses I was wearing (- what a film-director!).
I think that talking about branding in this quiet and haunted setting brings a deeper dimension to it, than a bigger and noisier city like Manchester or London (or Athens) would have done.
And in case you are reading this without having noticed, the video has two parts. A three minute long one where I'm performing an introduction to the theoretical context of my No Brand Manifesto, and a seven minute one where I'm explaining a few things about my diagrams, like in a guided tour of SubSpecieDesign.org. A virtual tour of a virtual site within that virtual site...
And yes I edited it, wrote its original soundtrack and designed its mesmerizing sound myself.
Quite a lot of work on top of everything else.
But it was worth it. And it did work extremely well, adding a most important grip to my investigation and a you-tube, social media aspect, too. My scruffiness alone as a documentary film-star is a point of reference for a much wider audience than my research was targeting at its beginning. Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry for the word verification test, I hate it too but it's kind of necessary. Please resume your trail of thought and write me a comment.