Tuesday 3 November 2009

Branding and God

I'm busy trying to sort out my bibliography and reading little wikipedia sort of summaries and Amazon reviews all day is quite a job.

The more I read things relative to my subject the more I feel I'm digging up a sort of 'divinity' issue. Web 2.0 branding is like old religion-building, only at the early stage of us discovering the new world of possibilities and being so absorbed by it that we are actually unaware of falling into the same loop as the first Christians, building a new Christ/Antichrist imagination to replace the old tyranny. I was led to this trail of thought by Umberto Eco's writings (umbertoeco.com). He claims we, humans, are religious animals that need to justify Life and Death in their logic and therefore cannot live without a god, especially in the West after 2000 years of one god moral monopoly.

It seems to me that branding is exactly like building gods, and in 2ooo years from now, there will be more archaelogical findings with the Coke logo on than with the old cross. Further-more, it will look pretty horrific when Coke's Santa will be found next to crucified Christ. Was it like that with the ancient Egyptians and their monstrous 'gods' figures next to and inside Death-glorifying 'tombs'? What a mess of a civilisation!

I am currently interested in looking at the Greek Orthodox Church as a case study of the "perfect brand" with its 'omnipresent' and 'omnipotent' strategies of intangible temptation/salvation and charity/penalty issues, that still survive today by means of oligarchical tangible wealth and un-surpassed imagery (the cross logo et.c.) and fetishes and brand-plans, despite the rise of the New/Social media that have majorly de-contextualized the notions of preconception and superstition, yet rely on the same notions.

Is Mass/Ritual really a needed service or a brand-bubble taking advantage of our credulity?

Is Branding and God one and the same?

(My photos:)

2 comments:

  1. Tough questions to be answered dude.Hope u managed it with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still thinking that a negative ad which is more powerful and shocking pass the positive message that the directors, designers.. etc want or does the viewer take that negative feeling. For example the ad that i chose, the target audience who are the young girls, do they get the idea of being addicted to Sisley instead of drugs? Or do they get the message that drugs are good as Sisley, or Sisley supports drugs? I hope you get my point...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification test, I hate it too but it's kind of necessary. Please resume your trail of thought and write me a comment.